By using our website or any of our mobile applications (such as those available in the App Store and Google Play Store), and any related services, activities or features (collectively, the “Service”) you acknowledge that you accept the terms and policies outlined in this Privacy Statement. If you are a resident of the European Union (“EU”), United Kingdom, Lichtenstein, Norway, or Iceland, you may have additional rights under the EU General Data Protection Regulation (the “GDPR”), as outlined below.
2. What Does This Privacy Statement Cover?
This Privacy Statement explains how ClimateScience handles personally identifiable information (“Personal Information”) that ClimateScience gathers when you access or use the Service.
3. What Personal Information Does ClimateScience Collect?
ClimateScience collects information you voluntarily submit to the Service. Depending on which of our services you use, you may choose to (or be asked to) submit information such as your name, email address, school, age, date of birth, etc.
Information you elect to submit to the Service in a public or quasi-public manner may be disclosed to other users of the Application or the general public. We refer to such information as “User Submissions”. For example – if you post to a message board or forum, potentially including some of your personal information, such information will be made publicly available.
In addition, we may automatically receive and store certain, anonymous types of information whenever you interact with the Service. Such information may include the user’s IP address, domain server, tracking of user behaviour on our website and type of Internet browser. This information helps us, among other things, analyze trends and administer the Service. This information is anonymous and contains no personally identifiable data.
4. What About Children?
The safety and privacy of children is extremely important to us. If you are a resident of the EU, United Kingdom, Lichtenstein, Norway, or Iceland, and you are younger than 16, you are “Minor”. Minors are prohibited from registering for or using our Newsletter, our website, or an adult account in any of our apps, or participate in any serivce not mentioned explicitly in this paragraph. Anyone over 13 but under 16 years of age, can create an account for minors in our app. This will require your parent’s consent. If you are a minor, you have to enter your parents’ email address during registration and must not use the Services until they granted permission to do so by confirming this by clicking the confirmation link in an email we send them.
If we learn that we have collected personal information from a Minor without their parent’s consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that a Minor may have provided us personal information without their parent’s consent, please contact us at email@example.com. We reserve the right to require any user to verify that the user is not a Minor or has their parents’ consent to use the respective service, and if a user does not provide such verification in a timely manner, we will terminate the user’s account and delete all personally identifiable information displaying on the site and collected from such user.
5. How does ClimateScience use information it collects?
- Provide the Service: Your information will be used primarily to provide you with the Service.
- Improve the Service: Your information may be used by us internally to improve the Service and develop new products, services and features.
6. Will ClimateScience Share Any of the Personal Information it Receives?
To the limited extent we collect Personal Information – we neither rent nor sell your Personal Information to anyone. We share your Personal Information only as described below.
Recipient of User Submissions: As mentioned above – your User Submissions may be shared in a public or quasi-public manner.
Service Providers and Agents: We employ other companies and people to perform tasks on our behalf. For example, we may decide to use a third-party payment processing company to process payments you make through the Service. In addition, parts or the whole of the Service may be hosted by third parties on our behalf. Your information may be accessed by such providers/agents, in the event that we need to share your information with them to provide our services or customer support to you. Unless we tell you differently, ClimateScience’s agents do not have any right to use Personal Information we share with them beyond what is necessary to assist us.
Business Transfers: In some cases, we may choose to buy or sell assets. In these types of transactions, customer information is typically one of the business assets that are transferred. Moreover, if ClimateScience, or substantially all of its assets were acquired, or in the unlikely event that ClimateScience goes out of business or enters bankruptcy, customer information would be one of the assets that are transferred or acquired by a third party. You acknowledge that such transfers may occur, and that any acquirer of ClimateScience may continue to use your Personal Information as set forth in this policy.
Protection of ClimateScience and Others: We may release Personal Information when we believe in good faith that release is necessary to comply with the law; enforce or apply our conditions of use and other agreements; or protect the rights, property, or safety of ClimateScience, our employees, our users, or others.
With Your Consent: Except as set forth above, you will be notified when your Personal Information may be shared with third parties, and will be able to prevent the sharing of this information.
7. Conditions of Use
8. Third Party Websites/Services
The Site may permit you to link to other websites on the Internet, and other websites may contain links to the Site. These other websites are not under ClimateScience control, and such links do not constitute an endorsement by ClimateScience of those other websites or the services offered through them. The privacy and security practices of websites linked to or from the Service are not covered by this Privacy Statement, and ClimateScience is not responsible for the privacy or security practices or the content of such websites.
9. Opting out of all future emails
You can choose to opt-in to marketing communications on some of our Services. To opt-out, click on “unsubscribe” or similar links or buttons in the footer of our emails. We will still send you account-related emails as these are necessary to operate the Service. If you would like to stop receiving any email from ClimateScience, please delete your account.
10. Privacy Shield
The Service is operated in the United Kingdom (“U.K.”) and hosted in various countries, including the U.K., countries in the EU, and the United States (“U.S.”) through ClimateScience and its service providers, and if you do not reside in the U.K., laws in the U.K. may differ from the laws where you reside. By using the Services, you acknowledge that any Personal Data about you, regardless of whether provided by you or obtained from a third party, is being provided to ClimateScience anywhere in the world and will be hosted on U.S., U.K., and other servers, and you authorize ClimateScience to transfer, store and process your information to and in the U.K., the U.S., and other countries. You hereby consent to the transfer of your data to and from the U.K., the E.U., the U.S, and all other parts of the world.
For this GDPR section, we use the terms “Personal Data” and “processing” as they are defined in the GDPR, but “Personal Data” generally means information that can be used to individually identify a person, and “processing” generally covers actions that can be performed in connection with data such as collection, use, storage and disclosure. ClimateScience will be the controller of your Personal Data processed in connection with the Sites. Note that we may also process Personal Data of our customers’ end-users or employees in connection with our provision of services to customers, in which case we are the processor of Personal Data. If we are the processor of your Personal Data (i.e., not the controller), please contact the controller party in the first instance to address your rights with respect to such data.
What Personal Data Do We Collect From You? We collect Personal Data about you when you provide such information directly to us, when third parties such as our business partners or service providers provide us with Personal Data about you, or when Personal Data about you is automatically collected in connection with your use of our Sites.
Information we collect directly from you: We receive Personal Data directly from you when you provide us with such Personal Data, including without limitation the following:
- First and last name
- Email address
- IP address(es)
- Mailing address
- Telephone number
- Facts about education history and career
- General location
- Who your friends are
- School attended (if applicable)
- Occupation (if applicable)
Information we receive from third party sources: Some third parties such as our business partners and service providers provide us with Personal Data about you, such as the following:
- Account information for third-party services: If you interact with a third-party service when using our Sites, such as if you use a third-party service to log-in to our Sites (e.g., Facebook, Google, or Twitter), or if you share content from our Sites through a third party social media service, the third party service will send us information about you, such as information from your public profile, if the third-party service and your account settings allow such sharing. The information we receive will depend on the policies and your account settings with the third party service.
Information we automatically collect when you use our Sites: Some Personal Data is automatically collected when you use our Sites, such as the following:
- IP address
- Device identifiers
- Web browser information
- Page view statistics
- Browsing history
- Usage information
- Transaction information (e.g. transaction amount, date and time such transaction occurred)
- Location inferred from your IP address
- Log data (e.g. access times, hardware and software information)
How Do We Use Your Personal Data? We process Personal Data to operate, improve, understand and personalize our Sites. For example, we use Personal Data to:
- Create and manage user profiles
- Communicate with you about the Sites
- Process orders
- Contact you about Site announcements, updates or offers
- Provide support and assistance for the Sites
- Personalize website content and communications based on your preferences
- Meet contract or legal obligations
- Respond to user inquiries
- Fulfil user requests
- Comply with our legal or contractual obligations
- Resolve disputes
- Protect against or deter fraudulent, illegal or harmful actions
- Enforce our Terms and Conditions
We will only process your Personal Data if we have a lawful basis for doing so. Lawful bases for processing include consent, “contractual necessity” and our “legitimate interests” or the legitimate interest of others, as further described below.
- Contractual Necessity: We process the following categories of Personal Data as a matter of “contractual necessity”, meaning that we need to process the data to perform under our Terms and Conditions with you, which enables us to provide you with the Sites. When we process data due to contractual necessity, failure to provide such Personal Data will result in your inability to use some or all portions of the Sites that require such data.
- First and last name
- Email address
- Mailing address
- Telephone number
- Facts about education history and career
- General location
- Legitimate Interest: We process the following categories of Personal Data when we believe it furthers the legitimate interest of us or third parties.
- First and last name
- Email address
- IP address(es)
- Examples of these legitimate interests include:
- Operation and improvement of our business, products and services
- Marketing of our products and services
- Provision of customer support
- Protection from fraud or security threats
- Compliance with legal obligations
- Completion of corporate transactions
- Consent: In some cases, we process Personal Data based on the consent you expressly grant to us at the time we collect such data. When we process Personal Data based on your consent, it will be expressly indicated to you at the point and time of collection.
- Other Processing Grounds: From time to time we may also need to process Personal Data to comply with a legal obligation, if it is necessary to protect the vital interests of you or other data subjects, or if it is necessary for a task carried out in the public interest.
- Payment processors
- Ad networks, Demand Side Platforms, and Ad Exchanges
- Analytics service providers
- Services to provide customer support
- Hosting service providers
We also share Personal Data when necessary to complete a transaction initiated or authorized by you or provide you with a product or service you have requested. In addition to those set forth above, these parties also include:
- Other users (where you post information publicly or as otherwise necessary to effect a transaction initiated or authorized by you through the Sites)
- Social media services (if you interact with them through your use of the Sites)
- Other parties authorized by you
We also share information with third parties when you have given us consent to do so (as indicated at the point such information is collected).
We also share Personal Data when we believe it is necessary to:
- Comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies
- Protect us, our business or our users, for example, to enforce our Terms and Conditions, prevent spam or other unwanted communications and investigate or protect against fraud
- Maintain the security of our products and services
- Provide a service directly authorized and requested by you, the end-user
Furthermore, if we choose to buy or sell assets, user information is typically one of the transferred business assets. Moreover, if we, or substantially all of our assets, were acquired, or if we go out of business or enter bankruptcy, user information would be one of the assets that are transferred or acquired by a third party, and we would share Personal Data with the party that is acquiring our assets. You acknowledge that such transfers may occur, and that any acquirer of us or our assets may continue to use your Personal Information as set forth in this policy.
How Long Do We Retain Your Personal Data? We retain Personal Data about you as long as you have an open account with us or as otherwise necessary to provide you Services. In some cases, we retain Personal Data for longer, if doing so is necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes or collect fees owed, or is otherwise permitted or required by applicable law, rule or regulation. Afterwards, we retain some information in a depersonalized or aggregated form but not in a way that would identify you personally.
What Security Measures Do We Use? We seek to protect Personal Data using appropriate technical and organizational measures based on the type of Personal Data and applicable processing activity. For example, we encrypt all data in-transit, obfuscate and anonymize data that we share with processors like analytics services, and maintain all services with security patches in a timely manner. We also require that our suppliers protect such information from unauthorized access, use, and disclosure.
Personal Data of Children: We do not knowingly collect or solicit Personal Data from anyone under the age of 16 without parental permission. If you are under 16, please do not attempt to register for the Sites or send any Personal Data about yourself to us without parental permission. If we learn that we have collected Personal Data from a child under age 16 without parental permission, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that a child under 16 may have provided us Personal Data, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What Rights Do You Have Regarding Your Personal Data? You have certain rights with respect to your Personal Data, including those set forth below. For more information about these rights, or to submit a request, please email email@example.com. Please note that in some circumstances, we may not be able to fully comply with your request, such as if it is frivolous or extremely impractical, if it jeopardizes the rights of others, or if it is not required by law, but in those circumstances, we will still respond to notify you of such a decision. In some cases, we may also need to you to provide us with additional information, which may include Personal Data, if necessary to verify your identity and the nature of your request.
- Access: You can request more information about the Personal Data we hold about you and request a copy of such Personal Data by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rectification: If you believe that any Personal Data we are holding about you is incorrect or incomplete, you can request that we correct or supplement such data. In certain circumstances, you can correct some of this information directly in the Service or by contacting us at email@example.com
- Erasure: You can request that we erase some or all of your Personal Data from our systems. This may come at the consequence of us having to delete your account and any associated data with it.
- Withdrawal of Consent: If we are processing your Personal Data based on your consent (as indicated at the time of collection of such data), you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Please note, however, that if you exercise this right, you may have to then provide express consent on a case-by-case basis for the use or disclosure of certain of your Personal Data, if such use or disclosure is necessary to enable you to utilize some or all of our Sites.
- Portability: You can ask for a copy of your Personal Data in a machine-readable format. You can also request that we transmit the data to another controller where technically feasible.
- Objection: You can contact us to let us know that you object to the further use or disclosure of your Personal Data for certain purposes.
- Restriction of Processing: You can ask us to restrict further processing of your Personal Data. Right to File Complaint: You have the right to lodge a complaint about ClimateScience’s practices with respect to your Personal Data with the supervisory authority of your country or EU Member State.
12. Changes to this Privacy Statement
ClimateScience may amend this Privacy Statement from time to time. Use of information we collect now is subject to the Privacy Statement in effect at the time such information is used. If we make changes in the way we use Personal Information, we will notify you by posting an announcement on our website, or via the Service, or sending you an email. Users are bound by any changes to the Privacy Statement when he or she uses the Service after such changes have been first posted.
13. Questions or Concerns
If you have any questions or concerns regarding privacy, please send us a detailed message at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to resolve your concerns.